Paperwhite Narcissus, usually just called Paperwhites, are the easiest bulbs to grow indoors. These flowers are fragrant, winter-blooming daffodils that are perfect for growing in containers. They are super easy-to-grow and will add spring cheer all winter long. They are a warm-climate bulb and therefore don’t need the cold treatment necessary for the other bulbs. Place on a windowsill or a tabletop to add a little color and texture to a room. Stop in after Labor Day every year to check out the paperwhite bulbs we have at City Floral Garden Center.
Paperwhite flowers prefer an area that has full sun.
Paperwhite flowers grow best in well-draining soil. Amend with a combination of top soil and organic material.
Paperwhite bulbs like to be fertilized as you are planting. Add fertilizer to the planting area to help promote rooting.
We suggest Espoma Organic Bulb-tone
Paperwhite Flowers bloom generally 3 – 5 weeks after planting, which is why they are great for indoor containers.
Plant paperwhite bulbs about 1 – 2 inches in the soil. But grow best ina closed container filled with pebbles.
Paperwhite bulbs need to be spaced out about 1 – 2 inches apart.
PLANTING ADVICE FOR PAPERWHITE BULBS
- Paperwhite flowers perform best when planted in full sun.
- Plant paperwhite bulbs when the temperature is consistently in the low 60’s or lower. If growing inside, it’s not necessary to wait for these temperatures.
- Paperwhite bulbs and flowers enjoy having soil that is well-draining and has organic matter but works best in a closed container filled with pebbles.
- Plant paperwhite bulbs 1 – 2 inches deep with the pointed side up.
- Fill the container with water and replenish the water so that the roots never dry out. Do not completely submerge the bulb.
- In about 3-5 weeks, you’ll have clusters of incredibly fragrant white blooms.
- You can also limit the growth of paperwhites by growing drunken paperwhites. Learn more about Drunken Paperwhites by clicking here!
BULBS TO PAIR WITH PAPERWHITE BULBS
MINIATURE DAFFODIL – Miniature Daffodils are best known for their bright yellow or white blooms that are a wonderful sign that spring is finally here. Perfect for planting front and center of your garden. These flowers look amazing where ever they grow.
TULIP – Tulips are one of the more popular bulbs. They range from a miniature size to 30″ late bloomers. If you are looking to add color all spring long it’s best to get a variety of tulip bulbs that bloom at different times.
DWARF IRIS – The dwarf iris is a wonderfully little guy that blooms early spring and gives the illusion of little butterflies hovering just above the ground. They come in many gorgeous colors, elegant forms, and distinct markings that the dwarf iris is often a welcome sign that spring is on it’s way.
FEATURED BLOG POSTS
The houseplant craze that started pre-pandemic, has grown faster than a pothos in perfect conditions. And
Making a beautiful floral centerpiece for your Christmas dinner or holiday party is quick and easy when you have the right supplies. You can make your centerpiece as simple or as extravagant as you want. Your guests will be impressed either way!