DWARF IRIS BULBS
DWARF IRIS BULBS
The dwarf iris is a wonderfully little guy that blooms early spring and gives the illusion of little butterflies hovering just above the ground. They come in many gorgeous colors, elegant forms, and distinct markings that the dwarf iris is often a welcome sign that spring is on it’s way.
Dwarf iris plants like to be planted in full sun, but will tolerate some partial shade.
Dwarf iris flowers grow best in a well-draining soil. Spread 2″ of peat moss and blend with existing soil to help with drainage.
Dwarf iris bulbs like to be fertilized right after being planted. Usually put fertilizer 2″ below the bulb in order to promote rooting.
We suggest Espoma Organic Bulb-tone
Dwarf iris flowers are a welcome sight in late winter and early spring. They add a great pop of color and a sign that spring is coming.
Plant dwarf iris bulbs about 2 – 3 inches in the soil with the pointed end facing up.
Dwarf iris bulbs don’t need as much space as the bearded iris. Space them out about 4 – 5 inches a part.
PLANTING ADVICE FOR DWARF IRIS BULBS
- Dwarf iris flowers need to be planted in full sun, but can tolerate some partial shade.
- Dwarf iris bulbs and flowers enjoy having soil that is well-draining and has organic matter. Amend the soil you are planting in with organic material such as compost, manure or we suggest peat moss.
- Make sure to plant your dwarf iris bulbs are planted in fall close to when the ground freezes.
- Dwarf iris bulbs need at least 4 – 5 inches of space between them. Using a bulb planter tool helps keep a consistent spacing between them.
- Water the planted area immediately after planting but no additional watering in fall or spring is necessary.
BULBS TO PAIR WITH DWARF IRIS BULBS
TULIPS – Tulips are one of the more popular bulbs. They range from a miniature size to 30″ late bloomers. If you are looking to add color all spring long it’s best to get a variety of tulip bulbs that bloom at different times.
CROCUS – Crocus flowers are always first to the spring party, and in some cases will bloom in January. These gorgeous flowers will push through the snow and put on a show that reminds you that spring is just around the corner.
FEATURED BLOG POSTS
Houseplant trends for 2021 make up a great range of different houseplants. These plants are the