We recommend that you clean your pond in the Fall or early Spring when temperatures are 45-70 degrees. Avoid cleaning pools during the Summer (unless absolutely necessary due to foul weather or chemicals accidentally contaminating the pool), as the fish will stress very easily.
Holding tank for fish
Pump and tubing or hose
Netting or boards to cover holding tank
DeChlor or Aqua Safe NH/CL
Extension cord (UL outdoor approved)
Tetra Luft and Air Rock
- Set up holding tank for fish in a shaded area. Clean plastic trash cans, tubs, or child’s wading pools are all suitable. If possible, provide aeration.
- Fill holding tank with original pool water.
- Transfer livestock to holding tank. Cover with netting or boards.
- Pump excess water out of the pond. (Be careful not to flood your or your neighbor’s yard.)
- Remove and cover any plants with wet newspaper or burlap and keep in the shade.
- Bail out remaining water.
- Be sure to remove sludge that has accumulated at the bottom of the pool.
- Scrub the pool floor with a stiff brush and clean water. Do not remove any beneficial algae from the walls of the pool.
- Rinse pool and drain.
- Refill pool with fresh water.
- Add DeClor or Aqua Safe.
- Add Medi Fin to eliminate any potential parasite problems.
- To reintroduce fish, temper them by adding new, treated pond water to holding tank so that the holding tank water temperature is within 2 degrees of pond water.
- Release fish into the pool.
- Repot plants, if necessary, and put them back into the pool.
- Clean filter and reinstall in the pond.
For any questions, please come into the store, email, or call us. We’d be happy to help!