Ligustrum, or Privet, is found in many species and cultivars with a diversity of leaf colors, leaf forms, and growth habits. All are tolerant of heavy pruning. The attractive white flowers bloom during late spring and early summer.
Lighting: Part shade to full sun
Temperature: Ligustrum requires adequate water to keep from drying out and remaining dry.
Feeding: Use an all-purpose fertilizer
Pruning & Wiring: Branching can be encouraged by pinching the stems
Propogation: Cuttings, graftings, and seeds
Repotting: The tree needs annual repotting. Not particular about the type of soil, however, it should be well drained.
Pests & Diseases: Aphids, scale, whitefly and spider mites can infest the plant. Diseases include leaf spot and root rot.
Some Species Suitable for Bonsai:
- L. japonicum – Japanese or wax privet
- L. lucidum – Glossy privet (grows rapidly)
- L. sinense – Chinese privet
- L. sinense ‘Variegata’ – has small white-to-yellow variegated leaves that get up to 1.5-3 inches
- L. japonicum var. roundifolium, also called L. recurvifolium – slow growing, upright with round leaves